Use 3D printing to make healthcare better for 1+ billion people
Julielynn Wong, MD, MPH
Founder, Chairman, & C.E.O.
Julielynn is an award-winning, Harvard educated physician-scientist, innovator, and educator whose life’s mission is to use technology to benefit the world. She is internationally recognized as a 3D printing, drone, robotics, telemedicine and digital health pioneer who uses cutting-edge technology to deliver healthcare solutions in diverse environments, from outer space to remote communities with limited access to healthcare resources. She was the first to 3D print medical supplies onboard the International Space Station and at the Mars Desert Research Station. She designed a solar-powered mobile 3D printing system that can be transported in a carry-on suitcase to produce medical supplies in remote, off-grid communities. Julielynn regularly lectures on innovation in healthcare and is a frequent contributor to various media outlets including ABC News, Forbes, and the Huffington Post.
3D4MD was conceived by Dr. Julielynn Wong in 2011. 3D4MD combines a wealth of practical clinical knowledge, advanced qualifications, and a crowd-sourcing innovation process to address some of the most difficult healthcare problems faced in remote and challenging places to work. 3D4MD is a for-profit social enterprise whose mission is to use 3D printing, drones, and other low-cost technologies to make sustainable solutions to reduce poverty and deliver healthcare in the most challenging places to those who need it the most. We are always seeking corporations, foundations, and organizations who share our vision and want to provide social investment to impact over 1 billion lives. We provide high-quality products, services, programs and events to generate revenue to support our humanitarian projects to save lives, time, and money.
We provide a secure desktop 3D printing system that meets Health Canada and United States Food and Drug Administration guidelines and makes quality-tested 3D printed solutions to save lives, time, and money at home, abroad, and in space.
Who We Help
3D4MD makes award-winning, lower-cost 3D printing humanitarian solutions for:
- 5 billion people who lack access to safe, timely, and affordable surgical care
- 4 billion people without access to the Internet
- 3.75 billion people who live in rural areas and who often lack access to healthcare services
- 1.1 billion people without access to electricity
- Over 1 billion people with a disability who often lack access to assistive devices
- Nearly 1 billion people who live on less than $2 per day
- Over 136 million people who require humanitarian assistance
- Astronauts on deep space missions
- We crowdsource community-based, high impact solutions to minimize development time and costs and maximize our social impact.
- We pioneered humanitarian design principles to make inclusive, user-friendly and sustainable 3D printing solutions.
- We monitor and report our quantitative and qualitative outcomes to demonstrate that 3D printing solutions are better than existing alternatives.
- We strive to meet the highest standards of safety, performance, and security in designing our 3D printing medical solutions.
- We respect the confidentiality of patients, healthcare providers, medical institutions, and our partner organizations.
- We are committed to bringing quality healthcare services to people regardless of their race, national origin, religion or political affiliation.
- Our services balance gender and environmental concerns to the greatest extent possible.
Partners and Supporters
3D4MD is seeking partners and various types of support to continue to make our vision of transforming healthcare a reality. 3D4MD relies on the generous support from numerous organizations including the following:
NSERC offers funding for research activities for industry, academic, and public sector partnerships. 3D4MD's co-op students receive funding support from NSERC.